Last month, the twitter/facebook/college-website world of Lawrence was buzzing about what was soon to be deemed “Boom Boom Couple;” A pair of 19-somethings who got drunk on Halloween-not unlike everyone else in this town- and got down and dirty in the Boom Boom Room at the Hawk.
For those of you who aren’t aware, the Boom Boom Room is one of six locations in the Hawk, each with their own bar and DJ. These rooms consist of
- Main Bar- Creative name, self-explanitory. Includes the largest dance floor (with pole), nicest bathrooms, booths, tables, & some kind of arcade game that no one actually plays. Located On ground level with one of the doors to the patio.
- Pine Room- The second room to open as capacity increases, the Pine room has the other door to the patio (and usually a shorter line), Wooden booths and tables line one side of the wall, with a bar on the other. Creative decorating by the locals in the form of what I like to call “Sharpie Art” make the wooden finish almost impossible to see, but Vandalism Room doesn’t have quite the same ring to it. This room also includes the smallest bathrooms in the place, including the women’s room which features two toilets and no divider. Get ready to make new friends in line!
- “Downstairs”- Sometimes also referred to as the patio, this area is down the stairs and outside, although it does have some kind of tin roof to keep out the rain, snow, pouring down of puke from close-by senior houses, etc.It’s the only area where it’s both socially & legally acceptable to smoke. The Bar down here tends to move a little faster than upstairs, maybe because they’re just trying to stay warm. However, their shots also tend to taste terrible (I have a feeling this is where they put the new bartenders).
- The Martini Room- The classiest part of the Hawk is like saying something is the cleanest bart of a bathroom, but whatever- that’s what the Martini room is. No dance floor really, just higher tables, a bar with what I like to call “medium shelf” liquor and some leather couches that are sticky no matter what. The Martini room is also the only place in the hawk that uses actual glasses as opposed to plastic cups.
- The Boom Boom Room- Finally, the
CDC hotspotscene of the crime. The Boom Boom Room is probably best described as the dance club room in the Hawk. It is definitely the darkest, with a lightshow that rivals a bassnectar concert, and more diseases than the anyone would care to admit.
There’s a reason that the Boom Boom is always the last room to open at the Hawk. It’s where you find yourself at the end of the night. The people dancing in their look like drunken versions of those flailing kite men that they inflate outside of Car dealerships after a Hail Sale. It’s gross, it’s cheap, & its what makes the Hawk, the Hawk. So on Halloween, when the undeRAGErs came out in full force, it was no surprise that the Boom Boom was up and running. The difference this time is that things got a little too out of hand for even the crowd at the Jayhawk Cafe. And this time, there’s incriminating evidence. What resulted spread at a speed unmatched by the KU Track Team. Tweets with three different pictures of the couple in various positions went around, as well as screenshots of both of their facebook profiles. The Boom Boom Guy already has a parody twitter account and was even interviewed on the radio shortly following that weekend. The Boom Boom Girl has virtually gone off the grid, but apparently is a Freshman from Manhattan. Rumor has it that she’s transferring altogether at Semester. Pictures also showed up on BarStoolSports.com and the hashtag #BoomBoomCouple was even trending in Lawrence.
It’s really interesting to see the difference between the slut blasting of the female in this picture versus the hail to the dude in the very same one. This is not to say that they are the first couple to attempt such shenanigans, nor will they be the last. Unfortunately, its just not as easy to get away with as it used to be. Either way, I think this should serve as a lesson to us all. Memories are fleeting, but instatweeted pictures are forever.
Not quite sure how I missed this before, but apparently some people went above and beyond with their Halloween Costumes, and decided to BE the boom boom couple. Talk about a quick turnaround.
She even got the right pair of socks!